We strive to provide an environment that fosters body acceptance and encourages a long-term approach to your healthiest self. To us, healthy means that we are treating our body with respect and consistent and adequate nourishment. Because of this, here is your holiday reminder that our house rules apply to everyone at Paragon. As a community, this is one step we can take together this holiday season to encourage a healthier society, both inside and out.
Remember, how we talk about our bodies and food impacts everyone in the room:
- Speak to yourself the way you would speak about someone you love. Recognize negative body talk. Would you speak this way to a loved one? Is it helping you move forward? Does it make you feel empowered? Is it productive? How can you reframe the thought?
- Refrain from commenting on any bodies in the gym, including your own. We believe all bodies are beautiful and capable, in every shape and size. We aim to create an accepting environment for everyone. You never know what someone else is going through, or how your words will impact them – even if you’re speaking about yourself.
- The word “fat” is not an insult. When using this word at Paragon, refrain from using it with negative intent. If you find yourself using it in this manner, redirect the conversation to ways your body allows you to enjoy life.
- We challenge you to move away from diet talk. Diet talk is conversation stemmed in food restriction or how to burn off food you ate. We know diet culture is deeply rooted in the society around us, so we reframe this discussion towards nourishment and body respect.
- Every goal is welcomed here, and you choose your journey. We believe in a supportive, body neutral approach. You’ve likely noticed we don’t advertise fat loss or encourage dieting. With that said, we won’t dismiss your goals to change your body. We aim to support you on your journey to a healthier lifestyle, which often means fat loss is not the first step.
We understand breaking these habits isn’t easy, and you’re going to need support. Your coaches are each equipped for these conversations, and you can always reach out to us via email to discuss further. Our nutrition program, designed by a certified Intuitive Eating Counselor, also addresses your relationship to food if you are interested in exploring these concepts further!
Our house rules were written in collaboration by coaches Christie and Kristen!